Fact number one. Nobody can deny it any more. The economy is tough these days and, I guess, many of us are looking for a way to earn some extra money to make up for lost jobs or income.
Fact number two. iPhones are selling like crazy. 1.7 million iPhone 4s were sold in its first three days of availability and that was on June 15th! And iPhone accessories are selling like crazy too. Including the iPhone cases. And that’s where you come in.
In this tutorial I will show you how to design your own iPhone case (in this case it is a case for iPhone 4 [Am I funny or what?], but there are templates for other iPhones too) and sell it on CafePress. Or, you could make it a present and give it to your friends and family or just make one for yourself (that’s if you have iPhone, of course) 🙂
Now, the precondition to create your own iPhone case design is to have your own shop on CafePress. I know it sounds complicated, but please don’t leave already, it’s actually quite simple. Just bear with me.
So, if you don’t have your shop on CafePress, please register (it’s free) and open your shop.
Next step is to download iPhone case template (I used that one for iPhone 4 case in this tutorial)
2. Open iPhone 4 case template in Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements). Notice the green outlines? They are here to guide you during the creation of your own design. Leave the background as it is.
4. Now, copy the background layer, move it above the black layer and change the opacity to 50%. This layer will remain above all layers, because we need to see the borders (outline).
5. Now, this is where the free Photoshop brushes set from October 2011 GBG eZine come in. So, if you did not download them yet, now is the time to do it.
6. I used “replace brushes”, just to keep the brushes window “clean” but you can use “load brushes” option too.
7. Add new layer (below the one which is on 50% opacity) and place the damask brush in the center. You can re-size it, but don’t overdo it.
8. Add another layer and place another Damask brush above the first one. Usually I add elements on individual layers because if I want to be able to move them around independently.
9. Finally I add some text (on a separate layer, of course, separate layer should be created automatically on newer versions of Photoshop)
10. Now that we are done, we can delete the 50% opacity layer.
11. Save the JPG file for your custom iPhone case design
12. Save it in maximum quality.
Of course, this part was to show you how I did it. Feel free to play around with different brushes, colors, text to get your own unique design. You can use my Photoshop brushes for your commercial projects including, but not limited to, creating your own designs for all products on CafePress, Zazzle and similar services.
13. Now, time to go back to the “Product designer” in CafePress. Click on “Select an image”.
14. Upload your new iPhone case design image.
15. Add some info about your iPhone case design so that customers can find you on CafePress shop. (Of course, you can embed the link to your product on your Facebook wall for your friends to see.)
16. Now select your iPhone case design image.
17. Here it is: your own iPhone 4 case design!
18. Ad some more info about iPhone 4 case design, and “name your price” 🙂
19. Here is what it looks like in my CafePress shop:
20. And this is the look of my latest iPhone 4 case design in my CafePress shop.
OK, gang! That’s it! See? It wasn’t that complicated, was it?
Love you all!
Silvia and the GBG Team