This tutorial will show you how to create, fast and simple, but effective, winter scene in Photoshop. Use it for your own postcard, greeting card or scrapbook page.
1. Create a new document 6”x4” and color the background using Linear Gradient Tool with light blue (cyan) to white like this:
2. To make hills landscape use the Elliptical Marquee Tool and make some ellipses on a new layer holding down the “Shift” button like this:
3. Fill the hills shape with the same linear gradient fill you used for the background. Copy the “hills” layer and flip the layer horizontally. Now, lower the upper “hills” layer a bit. Reduce the opacity of the hills in the background (lower „hills“ layer) to 50%
4. It should look like this:
5. Add some white thick brush strokes in the blue area and
6. use the Blur Tool (50) to create the clouds effect.
7. It should look like this:
8. Now we need some trees? Yes. Use Polygonal Lasso Tool and create triangle as shown on the following screen shot.
9. Then, press Shift key and while holding it down make another two triangles and the trunk as presented on the following screen shots.
10. Now it’s time to fill the trees with some color. For that purpose we will use the gradient that we used earlier in this tutorial. Convert the tree to a Smart Object – later you can duplicate it and change it’s size without loosing it’s quality.
11. When done with trees, merge all layers that contain trees and copy it.
12. Duplicate the trees layer. Drag one of them between two layers with hills. Flip that layer horizontally (that hill is already flipped so the tress will match).
13. Now we need some snowflakes. A perfect opportunity to use my “Snowy skies” Photoshop brush. Let’s make it white.
14. set the snowflakes layer opacity to 50%.
15. Simple winter scene in Photoshop is done!